Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Termites, and crickets, and ants, oh my!

Today was the first day of Biology lab. interesting. The standard lab is to pen a figure eight on a piece of paper and watch a termite follow it. Apparently, the termite can trace a chemical in the ink. I wouldn't know because termites also are illegal in New Zealand. So we did an experiment with ants. Ackkk! I've had bad experiences with ants in the past, mainly one experience in particular. For the experiment, we had to observe which food an ant prefers, peanut butter or honey. Having done the experiment, I still assume ants prefer honey, but I have no idea! The only definitive result from my experiment was that ants are indecisive. Writing the report for that lab will be interesting...

We also dissected a cricket! That was pretty cool. I did everything perfectly, and didn't hurt the organs. Only mistake: I forgot to pour a preservative over the cricket so as soon as I cut it open the organs died. We were supposed to watch them move - obviously mine didn't, but whatever! I was impressed with my knife-manship. The saddest part of the experiment was that I had to kill my cricket. That and the fact that dinner was immediately afterwards :/

No comments:

Post a Comment